Packing out your contents for clean-up
Some restoration projects are large enough that your contents and furnishings must be inventoried, packed and safely transported to our climate-controlled warehouse for cleaning, restoration, deodorization, re-packing. We will safely store your items until the structural restoration is complete. Be assured that ServiceMaster Clean Restoration Technicians are fully trained and will treat your possessions with the utmost care.
Your role in the packout process:
- Sign an authorization form.
- Identify your immediate need items such as emergency clothing, etc. Some of these may need to be cleaned quickly for your use.
- Identify items to keep in your possession (Personal valuables, medications, jewelry, etc.).
- Assist with “restore versus replace” decisions, especially regarding family heirlooms and sentimental items.
- Be available on site for packout and for re-delivery of your possessions.
As part of packing out your contents, ServiceMaster Clean will:
- Coordinate activities with your insurance claims representative.
- Separate items that will not be packed and moved, including items that will not be restored.
- Pack, provide general inventory and transport your belongings to a secure facility. We will provide you a copy of the general inventory.
- Perform restoration, cleaning, deodorization, re-packing and storage at our facility.
- Provide regular, frequent communication regarding the progress of your restoration claim.
- Arrange for re-delivery of your household belongings once restoration and reconstruction is complete.
Frequently Asked Questions about Packing Out
1. What is meant by “general” inventory?
As we pack your contents, each box will have a general description label placed on it; not every item in the box will be listed.
2. Will any cleaning be done to my belongings before packing and moving them?
Some items may need to be pre-treated before packing to remove moisture or corrosive smoke residues. Generally, most items will be processed at our warehouse/restoration center.
3. What about items that cannot be restored?
These will be separated during the packing/inventory process and left on site. Please discuss these items with your insurance claim representative.
4. Will I have access to my belongings while they are in storage?
Yes, with advance notice we can schedule a time for a ServiceMaster Clean Restoration Technician to meet with you and provide access to your requested items. A service charge may apply.